As parents and teachers we strive to promote strong character traits in children.Â The poem, â€œChildren Learn What They Live,â€ by Dorothy Law Nolte (you can see a copy of her poem Â at http://www.empowermentresources.com/info2/childrenlearn.html) Â is the inspiration for this project.Â I call it Wanna Bees, as in, â€œI wanna be happy, or I wanna be loyal or I wanna be honest.â€œ Â Â To be a positive role model, I have to â€œwanna beâ€ too.
Some suggestions for words for the bees: Â Calm, patient, trusting, neat, creative, gentle, respectful, helpful, friends, curious, loyal, forgiving, active, kind, happy, loving, honest, good, caring, aware, courteous.
- White construction or drawing paper
- Card stock
- Bee bodies stencil (Pattern)
- Pencil and eraser
- Colored pencils
- Black Sharpie
- Colored chalk
- Make a bee body stencil for each student on card stock.
- Trace 10 or 12 bee bodies on the white paper, changing the direction and tilt of the bodies.Â Â Stress using â€œwhisper strengthâ€ pressure while drawing.Â It makes erasing and covering with color easier.
- On the round end of each body draw a head, antennae, eyes and mouth.Â Add round ended wings and stripes to the body.Â Erase overlap lines where necessary.
- Make short dash marks from the back of the bee to off the page, adding loops where desired.
- Draw a line of flowers, stems, leaves and grass across the bottom of the picture.
- Write, â€œWanna Beesâ€ somewhere near the top of the page or wherever it will fit.
- With colored pencils, color the flowers, leaves and grass.Â Outline with the black Sharpie.
- Working with one bee at a time, color the bee with colored pencils, outline the bee and its flight with a fine black marker.Â With the black Sharpie write one of the character traits inside the bee body or wing.
- When all the bees are colored, lightly stroke the side of a piece of colored chalk over the complete picture.Â More than one color can be used, but be sure to stroke lightly.
- Gently wipe over the picture with the Kleenex.
2nd Grade Projects Gallery: