This is a fun project that includes drawing and using complementary colors to make an colorful work of art. A nice, easy to follow, lesson on drawing cats can be found at “http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/how-to-draw-a-cat.htm.” We started our class by practice drawing a cat, making it large, to fill up the paper.
- Scrap paper to practice drawing a cat
- White construction paper
- Black marker
- Spend a few minutes practice drawing a cat. Make sure to draw a large, full sheet, cat. Don’t spend too much time on this, we want the cats to be their own creation, but stress that the cat should full the page.
- Draw a large cat on the white construction paper.
- Fold the paper into four equal sections. Once in half horizontally and once in half vertically.
- Use the black marker to trace over all the pencil lines. Use a ruler to mark over the crease lines.
- Color the four sections using complementary colors in three of them. One section colored only in red and green; one section colored only in yellow and purple; and one section colored only in blue and orange. The last section can be colored any way that they choose.