Drawing, tracing, cutting and gluing are all skills used in this 2nd grade project. First the students draw a figure, (maybe a football player, a dancer, an angel, etc.)making sure that the arms and legs aren’t too skinny to cut out. After coloring their image, they cut it out and trace it on a black piece of paper. They need to hold the image in place and trace at the same time, but the 2nd graders can do it.
- One half sheet of white construction paper
- One half sheet of black construction paper
- Assorted background colored paper
- Scraps of colored paper
- Pencil and eraser
- Black Sharpie
- Glue stick
- On the half sheet of white paper, draw an image of yourself as a football player, a dancer, cheerleader, an angel, or whatever you choose as long as it has a face, arms and legs.
- Color the image and trace around it with the black Sharpie.
- Carefully cut out the image.
- Trace the image, with a pencil, on the black piece of paper. Cut out the black silhouette.
- Glue the colored image over the black silhouette, leaving about a fourth inch of the black showing on one side.
- Glue the shadowed image to the top half of the colored background of your choice.
- Under the image write, “Me and My Shadow.” Trace over the letters with the black marker.
- Choose two colors of scrap paper and glue shapes around the image to make a border.