Imagine what it would have been like if God had sent the Ten Commandments as a message by iPhone instead of written on stone. Sometimes memorizing the commandments is a bit difficult for children. Do you think it would be easier for them to learn if the Commandments were an app on the iPhone?
I saw this Ten Commandment iPhone idea on Pinterest, but there was no tutorial, or templates, for the project. I really love this idea and decided to make a pattern to share with anyone interested.
You’ll notice the photos below switch from colored to uncolored and back. That’s because I’d forgotten to take pictures as I was cutting the phone buttons. Remember, if you’d like to see a close up image, just click on the photo.
- Construction paper or card stock
- iPhone front (Pattern)
- iPhone Ten Commandments (Pattern)
- Colored pencils
- Safety cutters
- Glue stick
1. Use one iPhone front and one copy of the Ten Commandments. Don’t cut the pieces out other than dividing the copy with two sets of commandments. Carefully cut along the line between the two copies. Each of the copies will fit correctly inside a phone front. Fold the iPhone copy along the left side edge of the iPhone, in a book shape.
2. Color the front of the iPhone in whatever colors you choose. Lightly color over the Ten Commandments.
3. Place the Ten Commandment copy inside the fold, lining up the left side next two the fold. Glue the Ten Commandment copy to the inside back of the iPhone.
4. To cut around the numbers, open the phone flat (so you don’t cut through the back page), and place the numbers page on a folded newspaper.
IMPORTANT: ***Notice, you don’t cut above or below the narrow dotted fold lines. That 1/4″ space is the hinge holding the numbered buttons and is glued. Using the safety cutters, cut along the red marked lines across the top of the 1-2-3 line and below the number ten. Also cut along the solid lines between the horizontal rows of numbers and the right side edge. Fold the rows of numbers along the dotted fold lines.
5. Carefully apply glue around the outside of the Ten Commandment page and inside the narrow space between the rows of commandments.
Carefully place the iPhone cover over the written page, making sure the narrow fold lines line up.
6. With a scissors, cut between the numbers strips. Cut around the iPhone shape, through all thicknesses. The iPhone can be assembled before coloring, but it’s easier to color when it isn’t cut. (I found that out through trial and error)