Oil pastels are the perfect medium for this project. It easily allows us to show shading and value. I have pictures of fruits and vegetables cut from magazines and seed catalogs for shading reference.
- Black or dark construction paper
- Oil pastels
- With the pencil, lightly draw an arrangement of fruits and a pumpkin.
- With oil pastels, color in one fruit at a time, starting with the base color and then adding shading and highlights. Use your finger to move the color around. To the pumpkin add red and brown to achieve the shading. Add yellow or a bit of white to highlight.
- Shade and highlight all the fruits.
- Color in the leaves and add tendrils to the pumpkin.
- Add lines below the arrangement and to the sides to give the appearance of a table, the ground, a platter or basket.