The beautiful and varied shapes of leaves make for wonderful art. This project allows us to practice skills of tracing, using a ruler and following directions.
- White drawing paper
- Assorted colors of construction paper
- Black Sharpie
- Leaf Stencils or use pattern to make stencils on card stock (Pattern)
- Crayons or colored markers
- Gold and Silver glitter glue or white glue and gold and silver glitter
- With the black Sharpie and the ruler, make nine areas on the paper. Draw two random diagonal lines and two random horizontal lines.
- Using leaf stencils and the black Sharpie, trace leaf shapes over the lines making sure that the leaf uses space in at least two areas.
- Decide if you want to use warm colors or cool colors for your picture. Use only four crayons of either warm or cool colors. Only two colors in any space.
- Outline the leaf shapes with gold glitter glue for the warm colors; and silver glitter glue for the cool colors. With the glitter glue add veins to the leaves.
- Glue or staple a colored piece of construction paper behind the finished art work. Notice how different colors of background change how the art looks. Notice the different look when you use an orange background with a warm colored picture—-then put the same picture over a blue. Choose which background color you prefer.