The beautiful colors and designs in Mexican folk art makes it a style that begs to be imitated. I made a PowerPoint presentation showing Mexican folk art. I have included the PowerPoint in the supplies list, but it takes a few seconds to load. Since folk art is a primitive style, we are using the owl as our subject—besides that, I like owls. I’ve included a page of owl sketches that can be shown on the Elmo or printed off with each getting a copy, to give the kids ideas for drawing their owl. For samples of Mexican designs, check the website http://www.clipart-design.com/ultimate_ornaments_mega_pack.htm . You need to scan down on that page to find the Mexican designs.
- Mexican folk art (PowerPoint)
- Examples of borders
- Owl drawings (Pattern)
- 2″ and 2 ½” circle (Pattern)
- 9″ x 12″ white construction paper
- Cardstock or cardboardÂ for circle templates
- Paper cutter
- Black Sharpie (fine)
- Colored Markers
- Colored Chalk
- While handing out paper and circle templates, show PowerPoint and discuss Mexican folk art. Hang up examples of owl drawings and borders.
- Draw two large circles on the top third of your paper, using a 2″ or 2 ½” circle template.
- We’re drawing an owl, so use your imagination or look at the owl examples for an idea of how to draw the head, body, wings, feet and tail. Just make sure that your finished drawing somewhat resembles an owl.
- Outline your owl with a black Sharpie. Erase all unwanted lines.
- With pencil, draw designs inside the body.
- Outline design lines with a fine black Sharpie and erase unwanted lines.
- Using bright colored markers, fill in the designs.
- With the paper cutter, cut the paper so the owl is centered.
- Draw a border around the edges of your paper. Use the black Sharpie on your border and then color in with colored markers.
- Use colored chalk to color the background and then wipe excess chalk off with a tissue.
- Choose a colored sheet of construction paper to glue your art on. Write your name on the back of the construction paper.
5th Grade Projects Gallery: