If life is a puzzle—- these are the pieces. The students chose magazine pictures to tell a life story. Each piece making its contribution to the completed picture story.
- Magazines, (flower, farm, bird, sport, wildlife), two or three magazines per student
- Black construction paper
- Puzzle template (Pattern) (Pattern)
- Glue stick
- Black Sharpie
- Think of a theme for your puzzle and choose pictures from the magazines, making sure that the picture is big enough for a puzzle piece, and has no printing on it. Tear out the pages that have what you want to keep.
- Using a copy of the puzzle pattern, carefully cut along the outside frame of the puzzle. Center it on the black paper and draw around the frame with the pencil.
- Carefully cut apart the puzzle pieces.
- Starting with puzzle piece 1, center it on one of the chosen magazine pictures, trace around it and carefully cut it out. Glue it to the top left corner of the black paper, making sure the top and left side of the puzzle piece fits into the corner.
- Continue across the top of the black paper; then down the left side; across the bottom; and down the right side. Always make sure the border pieces are glued on the penciled frame lines. Notice how the pieces are numbered and glue them in their right places.
- Finish cutting and gluing the center puzzle pieces. If there is a small amount of space between the pieces, or if they overlap slightly, don’t fret; When all the pieces are glued down, outline each of the puzzle pieces with the black Sharpie.
- With your theme in mind, name your puzzle collage.
5th Grade Projects Gallery: