This has become one of our favorite art projects. It’s always amazing to see how realistic the storm looks. The actual pictures show more detail than these examples show.
- Lavendar construction paper
- Black crayon
- White Crayon
- Colored chalk
- With black crayon, color a skyline of city buildings at the bottom of the lavendar paper. Color deeply to blacken the silhouette. Add windows shapes with white or yellow crayon.
- Completely cover above the city with white chalk. Use the side of the chalk—-it goes faster.
- Wipe the dust off with Kleenex (wipe horizontally)
- Cover the white with purple and red chalk. Wipe with Kleenex, making the swipes horizontally.
- With black chalk, cover the top third of the picture, and also a strip of black between the top third and the city skyline.
- This time wipe the chalk dust off with a circular motion.
- Using white chalk and with a circular motion, color above the cloud bank. Add a little red over the white, also using a circular motion. Wipe with Kleenex, in a circular motion.
- On the middle cloud bank, add circular white edges (top of the clouds)
- Using the edge of the white chalk—-make lightening strikes above and below the middle cloud bank. You may have to break the chalk to get a sharp edge. Also could use yellow or red strikes.
- Spray the completed picture with hair spray to set the chalk.
5th Grade Projects Gallery: