While looking at works of art on the web, I came across some beautiful graphite pencil art by Debbie Adams. She has a website at http://adamsart.wordpress.com/category/drawings-2/barns/ that shows her art. Debbie Adams also paints in oil and watercolor. But, I love her pencil drawings of barns. She has some important drawing tips on this site also. I made a Power Point presentation of her works to show the 6th grade. I’ve included the Powerpoint in the supplies list, but it takes a few seconds for it to download. I made one copy of a picture for each of the students and they used the picture as inspiration to draw a picture of their own. This project takes two to three hour long classes to complete. All the pictures shown were done by the 6th Grade students.
- Debbie Adams art (Powerpoint)
- White paper
- Graphite drawing pencils (B2, B4, B6)
- Soft eraser
- Cotton Q-tips
- Scrap paper for practice
- Scrap paper to protect drawing from hand smudges
- Copy of picture
- Hair spray
1. On the scrap paper practice making lines and shadows with the soft pencils, and smudge the lines with the cotton Q-tips. Discuss some of the drawing tips from the Debbie Adams site.
2. Using the picture as inspiration, draw your picture.
3. Spray the completed picture with a fine coat of hair spray to set the graphite.
4. Optional: We glued the pictures to a 12” x 18” piece of black construction paper. Very outstanding project!
6th Grade Projects Gallery