This is a really great project because it starts with the student’s profile. There are a few guidelines, but what they put in their head is up to them. I traced their profiles, using the overhead projector, before class. This is a two session project. The first session will be used up drawing inside the profile. The second session coloring in the designs.
- 12″ x 18″ white construction paper
- 12″ x 18″ black construction paper
- Black Sharpie
- Colored markers
- Each student gets their profile, and with a pencil, they are to draw lines, circles, or designs to fill the entire profile space. They can include some drawings of their interests, but the spaces cannot be too large. Don’t make a lot of very little spaces either, because all the spaces have to be colored and no two neighboring spaces can be the same color.
- With colored markers, color in all the spaces. Remember no adjacent spaces can be the same color. Try to develop some rhyme and reason to the color scheme.
- Outline the colored spaces with the black Sharpie.
- Carefully cut out the profile.
- Glue on the black construction paper.