The 5th grade class watched a PowerPoint presentation of folk art by American folk artists. Many of the artists were self-taught artists who wanted to tell a story, through pictures, about specific events depicting life in rural areas.
- White construction paper
- Folk Art (PowerPoint)
- Pencil and eraser
- Colored pencils
- View the PowerPoint presentation. Think of events or celebrations that could be the focus of folk art.
- Draw a picture depicting some celebration, activity, family reunion, etc. Be sure to include the following in the drawing:
- Show perspective and action
- A season—summer, winter, fall or spring—which will determine the color of the trees, grass, sky, ground cover, etc.
- Hills, trees, flowers, bushes, barn, houses, church, town stores, fences, well, trellis, etc.
- Animals, dogs, horse, cow, sheep, cat
- People playing, working, visiting
- Sky and clouds—stormy, cloudy, sunny, wintery
- Lake, river, creek, waterfall
3. Â Use crayons, colored pencils, or watercolor pencils.
5th Grade Projects Gallery: