So we’ve been having a lot of fun with colored tissue paper painting, and now we have sheets of black tissue left and need a project to use them in. Looking at Google images, I can across a number of images of black flowers on a white background and thought it would be worth a try. Here’s the result and I think they look quite elegant. Flower pedals are cut from the black tissue, folded and glued to the white background. I’ve included a sheet of images if you don’t have time to check on Google—-there are a lot more to choose from.
- Black flower images (Sheet)
- White construction paper (cut square)
- Black tissue paper (cut in 2” x 8” strips)
- Black construction paper for matting
- Black Sharpie
- Glue stick
- White correction fluid
- Fold a strip of black tissue paper in half, and then again in half. Starting at one corner, cut a petal shape through all thicknesses. Make as many pedals as you’ll need for your project. You can use different widths of papers and fold fewer or more times to get different sizes and shapes of pedals. Roll little pieces into balls to use as seeds. Make long and narrow leaves. Make a variety of pedals and leaves.
- With the black Sharpie, draw stems, leaves, curlicues, etc.
- I folded my pedals in half and used them with the folded side up. I also scrunched the ends of some of them to shape them before gluing.
- Place and move the leaves on the stems until you get a pleasing arrangement, then glue them down.
- Make the centers of the flowers with white correction fluid. With the black Sharpie add tiny leaves or curlicues.
- Glue the picture on black construction paper.
6th Grade Projects Gallery