Sometimes, after finishing a painted art project and having used paper towels to clean up, you notice that the paper towels are a beautiful print. Instead of throwing them away, you can use them to make these stained paper towel cats. Or, you can stain the paper towels specifically for this project, as I did for these cats.
The wet, stained paper towels are given a layer of Mod Podge (or you could use slightly thinned Elmer’s glue) and left to dry. The Cats are made using the stiffened paper towels.
This is a two session art project because the paper towel has to dry.
- Paper towels
- Egg dye or liquid watercolor paints
- Mod Podge (or white glue)
- Tin foil
- Cat (Pattern)
- Black Sharpie marker
- White glue
- Paper roll, cut 2” length
- Google eyes, any size
- Wad up a paper towel, dip it in water, squeeze gently and place on a piece of tinfoil. Drop two or three drops of water color or food dye on the wad. (For the example, I used drops of red and green and yellow food dye.) Wear plastic gloves and gently squeeze the color through the coffee filter wad. 2. Carefully open the paper towel and smooth flat.With a wide artist brush, brush over entire paper towel with Mod Podge. Carefully pick up and lay the paper on a clean piece of tinfoil or heavy plastic bag. While the paper towel is drying, occasionally pick it up and turn it over so the towel doesn’t dry tight to the tinfoil.
3. Print out the cat pattern to make a template.
With a black Sharpie trace the outline of the cat onto the stiffened paper towel, twice. Also cut a straight strip for the cat’s tail.
4. Run a line of glue around one cat, starting about an inch from one bottom sides to an inch from the other bottom side. Leave the bottom edge of the cat free from glue. Fold the cut strip, the long way, for the tail, three times and glue.
Flatten the 2” piece of paper roll, apply glue to the outside of the roll and carefully place into the bottom of the cat, making sure the bottom edge of the roll and the bottom of the cat match. Twist or shape the tail, apply glue (about one inch) and slide the glued end into one side of the cat.
Glue on Google eyes.
Miscellaneous Projects Gallery: