This is a cute little doll made from a brown grocery bag, but in the style of the corn husk dolls. Very easy and really a cute, inexpensive project.
- Brown grocery bag
- Warm water
- Terry towel
- Tacky glue
- Black Sharpie
- Optional: pony beads
- Tear the handles off the bag, and then cut down the seam and around the bottom of the grocery bag. Cut the seam away and then cut ten strips about one and one half inches wide.
- Run the strips through the warm water, lay them on the towel and roll the towel to draw some of the water off the strips.
- Take six of the strips, measure down about 4 ½ inches, push the sides in to gather the strips and tie with a piece of yarn.
- From the short ends, place three of the strips toward the front and three towards the back. Then fold the strips under three times. This will make a lump. Fold the long strips down over the lump, squeeze the sides of the strips together and wrap a piece of yarn a couple of times around the strips and tie. This forms the doll’s head.
- For the arms, use three of the four strips that are left from the ten dampened strips. On one end, twist the three strips together and tie with a piece of yarn. Then braid the three strips together and tie the end.
- Center the braid below the head and between the three front and the three back body strips. Squeeze the strips together below the braid. Cut the remaining strip in half. Fold each in half the long way, drape them over the shoulders of the doll with half the strip crossing in front and the half crossing in the back of the doll. Wrap a doubled piece of yarn around the waist a couple of times and tie. Leave a length of yarn on each end and cut. Thread on pony beads.
- For the hair: If your yarn is thin, double the yarn, take three lengths of yarn, tie a knot about two and a half inches from one end, braid the yarn for about six inches and then tie another knot. Cut, leaving two and one half inches of yarn after the knot.
- Run a stream of glue over the top of the doll head and down both sides. Center the braid on the top of the head and glue down the sides of the head.
- With the black Sharpie, draw eyes and a mouth.
- Trim the ends of the arms if needed.
Miscellaneous Projects Gallery: